To err is human— stands true since data loss stats around the world indicate human errors as the second most common reason for data loss.
Data loss is inevitable and can’t be prevented. However, with appropriate software tools, data loss is predictable to some extent. But in most cases, it’s completely inescapable. And that’s why you need a data recovery software.
A data recovery software comes handy when the backup isn’t available, fails, or turns out to be obsolete.
These software can recover deleted and formatted data from all kind of Windows-supported storage media. Some of them can even restore data from deleted and missing partitions.
To help you make an informed decision, we have compiled a list of 7 best reliable and free data recovery software that can help you get your lost or deleted data back from a formatted, corrupt, or severely corrupt drives.
Recuva needs no introduction. It’s one of the most popular and widely used free data recovery software. The software can restore lost and deleted data from all kind of internal and external storage media such as hard drives, SD card, USB flash drives, and more.
· Recover pictures, video, music, email, documents, and other file types.
· Restore files from a damaged or corrupt drive
· Option to Deep Scan to restore buried files
· Secure data eraser utility for data protection
2. Stellar Data Recovery
Stellar Data Recovery is one of the best software when it comes to data retrieval. It’s intuitive user interface guides you through the recovery process and in just 3-simple steps, anyone even a novice can quickly recover their data.
It works with all Windows-supported media and macOS drives. The software is recently updated which brings a refined UI and additional features for Pro users. However, in this post, we will focus on the free version.
· 3-step recovery with advanced features
· Recover over hundred of file types including pictures, videos, emails, documents, audio, compressed folders, etc.
· Recover from a severely corrupt partitions with Deep Scan
· Preview all file types before recovery such as pictures, documents, videos, etc.
· Accidentally lost or deleted file recovery
· Overwrite protection for added data protection
· Multi-language support: 5 international languages—English, German, French, Italian, Spanish
With the looks of a standard Microsoft Office app such as MS Word 2007, this data recovery software comes with efficient data recovery algorithms. The freeware weighs less than 2MB and promises to restore deleted or formatted data from various data storage devices.
However, the scan speed is slow as compared to other data recovery software.
· Recover deleted file from PC and other storage media such as SD card, flash drives, HDD, etc.
· Lightest data recovery software
· Equipped with a secure erase tool and a Hex viewer
· Preview file before recovery
TestDisk is an open source project that is developed to restore lost partitions and repair damaged boot sector volumes. It is packed with advanced data recovery options to undelete files and folder from Windows and Linux-supported media.
However, with a command line interface (CLI), the powerful software is definitely not user-friendly and limits its usage. Thus, only users familiar with the CLI can efficiently use the software to restore their lost data.
· Rebuild and repair the FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
· Fix boot tables
· Fix NTFS MFT with MFT mirror
· Restore data from deleted FAT, exFAT, NTFS, ext2/2xt3/2xt4 partitions
· Supports data recovery from FAT (FAT16/FAT32), NTFS, exFAT, and ext2 filesystem
· Works well with all platforms such as Windows, macOS, DOS, and Linux
The software is suitable for advanced users only.
5. Disk Drill
Disk Drill is a simple and easy to use data recovery software with modern data recovery algorithms, which promises to recover data efficiently. The software can recover deleted and lost data from a corrupt, formatted, or lost partition.
· Recover lost pictures, videos, audio, documents, emails, and more
· Supports NTFS, FAT16/FAT32/FAT64, exFAT, and ext4 file systems
· Restore data from damaged partitions or drive
· Deep Scan option to restore buried files
6. MiniTool Power Data Recovery
This an advanced data recovery tool to recover data from a deleted or missing partition. It supports Windows 10 and earlier versions (up to XP) including Windows Server. The software also facilitates optical media recovery.
· Restore accidentally deleted and lost files from a formatted, corrupt, or deleted partition
· RAW partition recovery
· Supports various Windows-supported storage media
· Works with NTFS, FAT (FAT16/FAT32) and exFAT filesystem
7. Wise Data Recovery Tool
A free data recovery software to restore deleted photos, videos, music, documents, emails, etc. from internal and external storage media. It offers the fastest scanning mode, which works by narrowing down search results. Thus, saves time.
· Refined user interface
· Recover from all Windows supported storage media such as HDD, SD cards, USB thumb drive, etc.
· Portable version allows data recovery from Windows that fails to boot
· Multi-language support- 44 international languages
· Works with all Windows versions (both 64-bit and 32-bit)
However, there is no Deep Scan option which is a huge downside, and thus, the software may be able to restore recently deleted files only.
When it comes to choosing the best free data recovery software, select the one that comes with the features and options helpful in your data loss situation. We recommend ‘Recuva’ and ‘Stellar Data Recovery Free Edition’ software as they can help you in most data loss situations. Besides, the software comes with added features such as ‘Deep Scan’ that recovers maximum data from formatted, corrupt, and severely corrupt drives.